Terms & Conditions for participating in the Booking.com Booster Programme
VIII. PROGRAMME RELATED TRAVEL
IX. THE FINAL PITCH
XII. NON SOLICITATION
|Booking.com Booster Programme, also abbreviated as Booking Booster||a global fund and startup accelerator being run by the Promoter. Its aim is to find and help scale businesses that have a positive impact on the travel industry. The Fund consists of EUR 2,000,000.|
|Applicant||a for-profit legal entity that is duly established under the laws of the country where it operates that applies for the selection process. In these Terms & Conditions, the word Applicants also refers to Shortlisted Entrepreneurs and Selected Startups|
|Programme||The programme of the Booking Booster as described in part II of these Terms & Conditions|
|Promoter||Booking.com BV, a company incorporated in the Netherlands with company file number 31047344 and VAT tax registration number NL805734958B01|
|Representatives also referred to as: “you”||Representatives of the Applicants, entitled to fully represent the Applicant during the entire Booking Booster|
|Selection Process||The process of selecting the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs and Selected Startups as described in these Terms & Conditions|
|Shortlisted Entrepreneurs||Applicants that have been selected by the Promoter to participate in the 3-week Booster Programme of Booking Booster|
|Selected Startups||The Selected Startups that are granted with a share of the Fund|
II. PROGRAMME OVERVIEW
The Booking.com Booster comprises the following stages:
Application by the Applicants
1. Online entry/application by the Applicants via the programme website between 23 January 2017 and 1 March 2017;
Selection of the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs
2. Selection of the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs by the Promoter. Judging criteria are specified below in VI.1;
Booster Programme and Final Pitch by the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs
3. A 3-week Booster Programme comprising of a series of lectures, workshops and coaching taking place in Amsterdam in June 2017. Two representatives per startup will attend the Booster Programme;
4. An opportunity to pitch your business and scaling plan in front of Booking.com executives and external experts for a share of the EUR 2,000,000 Fund. Pitches take place at the end of the 3-week Booster Programme in Amsterdam.
Granting of the Fund to the Selected Startups
5. After the pitches, the Promoter decides on the granting of funds to the Selected Startups.
Coaching and mentoring of the Selected Startups
6. Coaching and mentoring support by the Promoter to the Selected Startups for a period up to 6 to 9 months after the Booster Programme in June 2017.
7. Measuring the impact of our support (grant & expert training and coaching) has had for Selected Startups. This will be done through a survey and phone interviews on a yearly basis – up to five years after participating in the Booking Booster.
8. The Promoter is entitled to amend the Booster Programme at its discretion.
III. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. The Booking Booster is open to:
a. any Applicant that is seeking a positive impact or benefit to the environment, preserves or promotes cultural heritages or grows inclusively in the tourism industry; and
b. generates revenue, but no more than EUR 1.5 million (or local currency equivalent) annually.
c. Selected Startups shall not enter into any Startup Booking Booster Programme, Incubator of Funding Programme relating to another online travel brand from the date you submit your application until 1 March 2018.
d. the Applicant is required to use any granted funds for bona fide business purposes consistent with the business and scaling plan presented to the Promoter.
If at any stage in the Booking.com Booster the Promoter discovers that the Applicant does not meet these criteria above, the Promoter may disqualify the Applicant with immediate effect and may claim immediate repayment of any grants paid.
2. To participate in the Booking Booster, you must be available to travel to the 3-week Booster Programme taking place from 5 June to 23 June 2017 in Amsterdam. These dates may be altered by the Promoter.
3. You should check your availability before applying for the Booking Booster. If you are unable to attend then you must, at the request and discretion of the Promoter, withdraw from the Booking Booster or appoint a substitute.
4. You must be fluent in English. All Booster Workshops and The Final Pitch will be conducted entirely using the English language. No interpreters or translations of materials will be provided.
5. Application and, if applicable, participation in the Booster Programme is free of charge. See section VIII for further details.
IV. KEY DATES FOR THE BOOKING BOOSTER
|The global application process opens||09.00 CET on 23 January 2017|
|Applications close||23.59 CET on 1 March 2017|
|Candidate Shortlisted Entrepreneurs are contacted and interviewed||By 24 March 2017*|
|Shortlisted Entrepreneurs confirmed and invited to the 3-week Booster Programme||By 14 April 2017*|
|Shortlisted Entrepreneurs attend 3-week Booster Programme in Amsterdam||5 June to 23 June 2017*|
|Final Pitch and value of grants announced||23 June 2017*|
* dates may be altered by the Promoter
V. THE APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Applicants need to complete the application form on the programme website and supply the stated materials.
2. As part of the entry process, Applicants will be required to:
a. complete a set of questions on the application form;
b. share a copy of their company registration document;
c. provide two business references. The Promoter may contact the referees as part of its assessment of the Applicant and its business; and
d. agree to these Terms and Conditions.
3. You may have confidential information or material and/or business secrets, or information or material that, directly or indirectly, is protected by any intellectual property right. Promoter does neither solicit nor wishes to receive any such information or material from the Applicant, whether before, during or after the Programme. Any information or material submitted by the Applicant will be deemed not to be confidential, secret or, directly or indirectly, protected by any intellectual property right. If, during the application process or during the Programme, the Applicant finds itself in a situation where it is about to provide such information or material, it is obliged to refrain from doing so and, if the Applicant determines it is impossible or impractical to continue the application or participation in the Programme without providing the Promoter with such information or material, to immediately withdraw from the application or Programme. It is explicitly agreed that any consequence of the non-adherence of this clause by the Applicant is entirely for its own account and neither the Promoter nor any of its affiliates shall have any liability or obligation with respect to information or material provided by the Applicant in connection with the Programme.
4. The Promoter reserves the right to conduct further background checks on the Applicant, the Representative and their business idea. This may include without limitation, civil and criminal court records and police reports on the Applicants, Representatives and entity directors. By entering the Booking Booster, Applicant gives the Promoter permission to conduct such background and financial/criminal checks and if necessary shall provide such written authorization as may be required to allow these to be carried out.
5. The Promoter reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any Applicant that fails to authorize such checks or if, based on the results of the checks, the Promoter determines in its sole discretion that the Applicant is not a suitable candidate to participate in the Booking Booster, including, without limitation, because the Applicant’s participation in the Booking Booster might reflect negatively on the Promoter or their related group companies.
6. Warranties by the Applicant. The Applicant represents and warrants to the Promoter that:
a. its business does not and will not violate the rights (including Intellectual Property rights) of any third party ;
b. the Applicant, its Representatives or directors have never been convicted of fraud or been declared bankrupt;
c. none of its directors or former directors were disqualified as a company director;
d. its business acts in conformity with all applicable legislation and regulations and will continue to do so;
e. the Applicant (including its employees, directors, officers, agents or other representatives), in any relation to this Agreement did not and shall (i) not directly or indirectly (a) offer, promise or give to any third party (including any governmental official or political party('s official, representative or candidate)), or (b) seek, accept or get promised for itself of for another party, any gift, payment, reward, consideration or benefit of any kind which would or could be construed as bribery or an illegal or corrupt practice, and (ii) comply with all applicable laws governing anti-bribery and corrupt gifts and practices (including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act).
f. it and its directors and (direct, indirect and ultimate (beneficial)) owners (and their directors) are not in any way connected to, part of, involved in or related to or under the control, management or ownership of:
i. terrorists or terrorist organizations; or
ii. parties / persons (A) listed as (special) designated nationals/entities or blocked person/entities, or (B) otherwise subject to trade embargo, or financial, economic and trade sanctions.
g. the Applicant, its Representatives and its directors have not and will not carry out any act or omission which may or does bring the Promoter into disrepute. Such acts comprise, but are not limited to, the acts or omissions that constitute the situations as referred under a to f.
7. If the Applicant acts in breach of one or more of the representations and warranties described under 6, or is in breach of any other obligation pursuant from these Terms & Conditions, the Applicant is obliged to immediately notify the Promoter of such event. Additionally, the Promoter is entitled to, with or without retroactive effect, wholly or partially, revoke the admission to the Booking Booster and/ or reclaim any grant paid. In addition, the Promoter is entitled to all other legal remedies, among which the right to claim damages.
VI. THE SELECTION PROCESS
1. All valid entries received will be assessed against the details on the application form and other information requested, and then shortlisted and judged by a panel of judges appointed by and on behalf of the Promoter (the “Judges”). The panel of judges will be made up by three Booking.com experts and two external experts, completely independent of the Promoter. Judges have full discretion in reviewing applications and will do so in accordance with the following broad criteria.
a. Market opportunity and size;
b. Demonstrable impact: measurable impact on the environment, cultural heritage or inclusive growth and a model that can scale;
c. Innovative business model and sound organizational strategy;
d. Financial feasibility and sustainability: earns revenue;
e. Skills, experience and commitment of management team.
2. Stage 1 Initial screening, moderation & application assessment process: The applications will be subject to an initial screening by the Judges based on the above criteria. The applications of approximately the top 20% based on rankings will be further assessed by the Judges.
3. Stage 2: Interview of top candidates: The top candidates remaining will be interviewed via either video, telephone or in person depending on their location.
4. Stage 3: Selection: On the basis of the interview, together with all information and facts received prior, the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs will be selected by the Judges. The Applicant shall be contacted by post, telephone and/or email no later than 14 April 2017.
5. If attempted notification using all the contact details supplied by the Applicant at time of entry are returned as undeliverable, or if a an Applicant cannot be verified within the time required, or if an Applicant is otherwise unable to accept their status as Shortlisted Entrepreneur and/ or Selected Startup, cannot attend the 3-week Booster Programme or is otherwise ineligible, their selection as Shortlisted Entrepreneur will be forfeited and an alternative startup, may be selected from reserves judged at the same time at the Promoter's sole discretion.
6. Any application that is found, at any time during the Selection Process, not to be in compliance with these Terms and Conditions or that otherwise contains prohibited or inappropriate content as determined by the Promoter, in its sole discretion, the Applicant may be disqualified. The Promoter shall have sole and final determination as to which applications are eligible to take part in the competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
VII. 3-WEEK BOOSTER PROGRAMME
1. In June 2017 the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs will attend a residential programme comprising a series of lectures, workshops and one-to-one coaching sessions to assist them in further developing their business and scaling plan.
2. Week 1 of the Booster Programme covers workshops and sessions about Theory of Change, the Business Model Canvas, Scaling Readiness, Strategy and Due Diligence.
3. Week 2 of the Programme focuses on Marketing, Storytelling, Pitching, Go-To-Market Strategy, Value Proposition, Finance and Invest Proposition and building & practising your pitch presentation.
4. Week 3 focuses mostly on finalizing scaling plans and pitch presentations as well as practicing for the Final Pitch on 23 June.
VIII. PROGRAMME RELATED TRAVEL
1. The Shortlisted Entrepreneur shall receive:
a. A trip for the Representative(s), up to two per startup, to attend The 3-Week Booster Programme in June 2017 comprising of:
b. return economy flights from/to your home country;
c. accommodation as specified by the Promoter;
d. airport transfers at destination;
e. transfers to and from Booster Week events;
f. all meals during the Booster Weeks;
2. Any other costs, charges, taxes or expenses not specified above are for the account of the Representatives of the Shortlisted Entrepreneur.
3. All reservations and travel arrangements shall be with suppliers selected by the Promoter in its sole and absolute discretion. All arrangements must be made through a travel agent selected by the Promoter. Travel dates once arranged are not changeable and non-transferrable. Airline tickets are non-refundable, non-transferable, and are not valid for upgrades.
4. Travel may not qualify for frequent flyer miles.
IX. THE FINAL PITCH
1. During this stage the Shortlisted Entrepreneurs pitch for a share of the EUR 2,000,000 Fund. The Shortlisted Entrepreneurs can apply for any amount between EUR 100,000 and EUR 500,000 to execute their scaling plan.
2. The Final Pitch is scheduled to take place on 23 June 2017, in Amsterdam.
3. The Final Pitch, each startup will have the opportunity to pitch for funding in front of a global expert panel of Judges.
4. Each startup will be required to deliver a presentation before the Judges. Each startup will be allocated approximately five to ten minutes to present their business and scaling plan and approximately ten minutes in which to respond to questions from the Judges. Precise details for your presentation will be prescribed and communicated to the startups as soon as they are finalized.
5. Presentations will be evaluated by the Judges according to the following broad criteria:
I. Market opportunity and size;
II. Demonstrable impact: measurable impact on the environment, cultural heritage or inclusive growth and a model that can scale, including a plan to make this happen;
III. Innovative/unique business model and sound organizational strategy;
IV. A solid plan of how the grant is applied or will be used to scale the business and the impact
V. Financial feasibility and sustainability: earns revenue;
VI. Skills, experience and commitment of management team toward executing the scaling plan.
6. The Judges will determine in their absolute discretion how to allocate the funding to the Selected Startups. The allocation of the funding will be announced at The Final Pitch event and confirmed in writing within five business days from The Final Pitch. The Judges are not obliged to spend the entire fund.
7. The Judges' decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to the allocation of the Fund.
8. Subject to Section XII.3., the grant funding will be paid directly to the Selected startup(s) via wire transfer within 30 business days from The Final Pitch.
X. POST BOOKING BOOSTER PROGRAMME
1. The Selected Startups receive up to 6-9 months of coaching and mentoring from coaches and mentors chosen by the Promoter, focused on the execution of the scaling plan presented during the Final Pitch. Coaching and mentoring sessions will be for approximately one hour per week.
2. Subject to Section V.3., the Selected Startups agree to provide the following high level business information to the Promoter upon reasonable request of the Promoter after the end of the Booster Programme & Final Pitch:
a. the percentage growth in revenue and profit during Booking Booster and thereafter;
b. the annual revenue of the business over the last 3 years;
c. the growth of the business since participating in the Booking Booster (in terms of employee numbers and markets entered amongst other measures);
d. details of how any money granted during the Booking Booster was used by the business;
e. data showing the impact of any money awarded to the business during The Booking Booster (e.g. the number of people impacted, the number of customers or beneficiaries reached or the number of products sold by the business and number of destinations positively impacted); and
f. general information about the future plans for the business and the projected growth of the business.
3. Such information may be used by the Promoter in a public-facing impact report relating to the Booking Booster, in statistics and data relating to the programme and the Promoter’s corporate social responsibility contributions.
4. Selected Startups become part of the Booking.com Cares Network. This Network focuses on connecting non-profit organisations, startups and experts that are working to create a more sustainable tourism industry.
XI. MARKETING AND PROMOTION
1. All Shortlisted Entrepreneurs agree to participate in any reasonable promotional and publicity activities related to the Programme, to be determined by the Promoter. Such activities could include the use of the Applicant’s business name, address, trademarks and logos, the Representative’s name, photographs, voice and/or other likeness for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
2. Without prior written approval of the Promoter, applicants are not entitled to associate with the Promoter in any way.
XII. NON SOLICITATION
1. Shortlisted entrepreneurs and Selected Startups, as of their selection as Shortlisted Entrepreneur until two years after the first day of the 3-week Booster Programme, undertake not to solicit any employee or independent contractor of the Promoter on, nor shall they induce any employee or independent contractor associated with the Promoter to terminate or breach an employment, contractual or other relationship with the Promoter.
1. These Terms & Conditions set out the entire agreement between the Applicants, Shortlisted Entrepreneurs, Selected Startups and the Promoter with respect to the Booking Booster.
2. These Terms & Conditions apply to the entire legal relation between the Applicant and the Promoter in relation to the Booking Booster. The Applicant accepts that the Promoter's decisions shall be final and binding in all respects relating to the Booking Booster.
3. The Selected Startups are entirely responsible for assessing and paying all applicable federal, provincial, state and local taxes in any respect of the Booking Booster including as to any share of the Fund received, if any, including any income or withholding taxes, both in the country or countries of their business and in the country where the events take place. In the event that the Promoter is or may reasonably become obliged to pay any withholding tax in relation to the Applicant, the Promoter is entitled to deduct such tax from a grant.
4. These Terms & Conditions prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including promotional materials.
5. The Promoter is not responsible for:
a. entries or other communications which are misdirected, lost, delayed, damaged or corrupted during delivery to or from the Promoter due to any computer malfunction, virus, bug, delay, erroneous or any other reason whatsoever;
b. lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, telecommunications, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections;
c. computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties;
d. any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by human error, site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Booking Booster;
e. for injury or damage to Applicants' or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in the Booking Booster or downloading materials from or use of the Booking Booster website; or;
f. other errors or difficulties of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise, relating to or in connection with the Booking Booster including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the processing of applications, the judging process, the announcement of the selected or in any related materials.
6. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Booking Booster or any linked website or who are in violation of these Terms & Conditions, as solely determined by the Promoter, are liable to be disqualified and all associated entries will be void.
7. The Promoter reserves the right (i) at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Selection Process at any time and for any reason, (ii) at its sole discretion to amend these terms and conditions at any time, and (iii) to withdraw part or all of the Booking Booster if it cannot be operated as envisaged, or cannot be operated as envisaged without disproportionate expense.
8. Application and participation in the Booking Booster is at the Applicant’s own risk. Any advice, coaching, mentoring etc given by or on behalf of the Promoter and in the context of the Booking Booster is provided free of charge. The consequences of following up (or not) any such advice are solely for the Applicant’s account.
9. Applicants, by participating, agree that to the extent permissible under applicable law and unless in case of willful conduct of severe negligence of the management of the Promoter, the Promoter, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, "Released Parties") will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless by Applicants against, any liability, for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, to persons, business or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the grant or participation in the Booking Booster including the Selection Process.
10. The Applicant shall indemnify the Promoter from any and all claims, liabilities, costs and expenses arising in any way from a breach of the Applicant's obligations, warranties or representations under these Terms & Conditions or in any way given as part of the Booking Booster.
11. Neither the participation in the Booking Booster nor the granting of any funding constitutes any form of influence, control or participation in the Applicant’s business. The Booking Booster explicitly is not intended to constitute a distribution, agency, labor, instruction, joint venture, or cooperation agreement between the Applicant and the Promoter.
12. These Terms & Conditions, as well as the entire legal relationship between the Applicant and the promoter as far as it relates the Booking Booster shall be solely governed by the laws of the Netherlands. Any conflict arising from or in relation to these Terms & Conditions and/ or the Booking Booster shall be brought to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Netherlands.
13. The Promoter is entitled to transfer it rights and obligations from these Terms & Conditions and any other rights and obligation in relation to the Booking Booster, as well as the contract itself, to third parties.